In the past few weeks I have been working with several clients who have come to Reiki to help alleviate stress and anxiety. Reiki itself – the energy – helps people feel more calm, content and serene, and therefore better able to cope with difficult situations. It also brings us mindfully to the present, rather than thoughts of the past or the future. Reiki helps connect us back to our ‘core selves’ that are balanced and centred, and able to weather the storms that life can bring.
- trouble sleeping
- feeling restless or on edge
- fearful of the future
- trouble concentrating
- muscle tension
Benefits of Reiki
Studies have shown that Reiki offers several potential benefits for people with anxiety, which include:
- Lower stress levels – Stress levels are typically higher in people who have anxiety. Both Research studies and anecdotal reports indicate that Reiki may assist to alleviate some of this stress.
- Improved Sleep – Anxiety sufferers often have trouble falling asleep or don’t feel sufficiently rested after sleep. Reiki sessions may alleviate some of these issues and improve the quality of sleep.
- Relaxation – Difficulty relaxing when no significant stressors are present is a common symptom of people who have anxiety. Participants of Reiki report feeling both relaxed during the session and afterwards.
- Improved mood – for some people anxiety and depression go hand-in-hand. Research indicates that people who participate in Reiki sessions on a regular basis feel less depressed than they did prior to Reiki therapy.
How often should I have Reiki for anxiety?
A common question that has been coming up lately, is how many Reiki sessions will I need? My advice would be to book a treatment and see if it helps with your anxiety symptoms. If it does, I would recommend regular sessions at first (weekly or fortnightly if affordable) so that you can tune in to the Reiki energy more fully, then ideally topping up monthly to keep the benefits going. Once you have established if Reiki helps your symptoms, you will know you have that in your self-care toolkit, and can come back to it throughout your life.
Rest assured that if you are new to Reiki and feeling anxious about coming for a treatment, I always do my best to offer you a warm welcome to help put you at ease. Here is what other people have said about their treatments at Revibe Reiki – Read Reviews
Because Reiki is non-invasive it doesn’t pose any risks to the client, so it is suitable for all ages. It can also be used in conjunction with virtually any other treatment prescribed by a doctor, including medication, counselling and other types of complementary therapy.
As always, remember that Reiki is no replacement for medical care when needed.
(Research Source: International Association of Reiki)
(Photo credit: Boram Kim)